Charlie has been playing up a bit the last couple of days so I take her to the park early today to try to burn some energy straight up :) I meet Sophie and her son Joachim and then her husband Benjamin before she heads off to work at Radio France. We plan to catch up tomorrow for a play and then maybe to go out somewhere as it's Saturday. Yay! She's really nice! (And speaks excellent English).
I head back to grumpy Ant... (even after a big sleep in!) and we get the day under way.
EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK ... OLD AD IMPRESSIVE
No matter where we walk in this city we see cool stuff.
So THIS is how they get the furniture into the tiny apartments... we know the size of the lifts here so wondered about that!
SACRE COER IS BEAUTIFUL
We jumped on a bus near the Louvre and started with Sacre Coer - even better than Notre Dame I think. You aren't allowed to take photos in there and that seems right (unlike Notre Dame where a full service can be going on while tourists traipse through). Sacre Coer is absolutely beautiful inside. Some Spanish teenagers were taking flash photos in there and ignoring all the signs ... looks were exchanged between everyone around us ... I thought they maybe didn't speak French or English and pointed at the camera and made a cross... 'no' .... she smiled and deliberatley took more photo's without even looking through the camera whilst giving me a cheesy grin. No idea... lol.
IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING MONEY FROM TOURISTS
Lunch in Montmarte just behind Sacre Coer (expensive and crappy food - it's all American style chips and burgers etc and so different from the food we've had so far!!) ... AUD $15 for a glass of Fanta (Orangina) and the waiter tries to tell us if we really want to be French we could ask for "La soustraction" instead of "l'addition". What a dick...
We walk through the market part famous for artists and portraits and it's nice enough but really really touristy ... it seems kinda fake. A guy tries to sell me a sillouette cutout thingy and I say no a few times... he eventually seems to offer it to me for free. He's asks if I speak English and says "Just for you" and starts to do one... I am surprised!! Cool! For me? Really?? Seriously?? He nods and hands it over. I thank him with two big kisses on each cheek and tell him thank you so much (another artist behind him starts laughing his head off...) then he actually asks me for 10 EUR .. usually 20 EUR he says.... Oh!! I thought it was too god to be true... Oh! I say... this is what you do .... (con people basically... not impressed). He gives up and hands it to me free. :)
Lunch in Montmarte just behind Sacre Coer (expensive and crappy food - it's all American style chips and burgers etc and so different from the food we've had so far!!) ... AUD $15 for a glass of Fanta (Orangina) and the waiter tries to tell us if we really want to be French we could ask for "La soustraction" instead of "l'addition". What a dick...
We walk through the market part famous for artists and portraits and it's nice enough but really really touristy ... it seems kinda fake. A guy tries to sell me a sillouette cutout thingy and I say no a few times... he eventually seems to offer it to me for free. He's asks if I speak English and says "Just for you" and starts to do one... I am surprised!! Cool! For me? Really?? Seriously?? He nods and hands it over. I thank him with two big kisses on each cheek and tell him thank you so much (another artist behind him starts laughing his head off...) then he actually asks me for 10 EUR .. usually 20 EUR he says.... Oh!! I thought it was too god to be true... Oh! I say... this is what you do .... (con people basically... not impressed). He gives up and hands it to me free. :)
We take Charlie on the carousel ... the movie Amelie is set in Montmarte by the way. You'll see this carousel in the movie too.
Walking through the streets of Montmarte on the way to a Metro station.
L'ARC DE TRIOMPHE
We leave Montmarte.... jump on le Metro to L'Arc de Triomphe and go up to the top.
View of Sacre Coer from the top.
Yes... and the tower of course :)
HUGE walking day... my feet are sooo sore! I slather them with massive amounts of Charlie's Sorbolene and throw some socks on to try to bring them back to normal.
Sooooo tired..... back to the apartment for Chinese takeaway dinner. I should be working but I crash out at 9pm. Today I shiver to think we still have another month on the road.... No more sightseeing Antony!! In Nice all I am doing is working and lounging on the (stony) beach.
We fly out tomorrow.
Sooooo tired..... back to the apartment for Chinese takeaway dinner. I should be working but I crash out at 9pm. Today I shiver to think we still have another month on the road.... No more sightseeing Antony!! In Nice all I am doing is working and lounging on the (stony) beach.
We fly out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment